2015年8月4日星期二

Inspirations I Got from the Observations

I think the best thing we did here is that we have observed various teachers' classes, for which we really want to deliver our thanks and gratitude to our dear tutors Carrie and Siggy, as you know teachers don't always welcome observers. 

From Carrie we learn the technique of controlling the rhythm of the class, and from Siggy we have learnt different activities to boost students' interest; but that's far from enough, as teaching is of such great profoundness. I remembered we were overjoyed at the news that we were to observe other teachers in this summer session.

Of course through the past four weeks' observation we have learned a lot. I don't think it will interest or benefit the readers to list all the teachers' class schedules, which is the last thing I'd like to do. I think the most important thing is the inspiration their classes have kindled in me.




The first is that no matter what age we are, we would like to play activities in classroom, especially those well-designed ones. I used to think my students don't need those playful parts, as they are now university students, old enough to sit there for an hour and a half to take in everything taught to them. I was, however, so happy in those teachers' classes to play or see the students play games, that I realize that my students will still need well-designed activities to help them. To learn in a cheerful way will bring students much benefit, including more focused attention, easier to learn and memorize, cultivating a sense of group, etc., the list of which will be long and inexhaustible.


The second is that appropriate use of slides is important. Slides are used to provide the necessary information, especially those graphics and statistics. But slides should not be overused. If we list too many words on the slides, we tend to read it, instead of getting it through to students in a more efficient or clever way. 

The third is that we should try to make students feel comfortable in our class. Those teachers who laugh a lot and who never pull long faces are welcomed by students everywhere. When in a circumstance where we would easily be reproached, we would not feel at ease. What makes things worst is that when we feel nervous, we would probably fail in everything.




The fourth is to cultivate students' sense of group, which is definitely a gift for them in the years to come. Group work is not something we feel strange to, yet I didn't carry it out so thoroughly. I learned here that we can apply group work not only in discussion, but also in improving students' essays, planning a learning project, practicing listening and speaking. In group work students learn to cooperate, to negotiate, to provide, to give in, to compromise, to listen to other people's opinions ... all these are so important to a successful career.

The fifth has something to do with the materials. As Carrie has said, materials are the most important. Materials decide whether the class would be interesting or not. Materials decide how much you can benefit your students. You can never be too careful in choosing the teaching materials.

The sixth is related with power. Shall we be authoritative, or shall we hand over the power to students? Siggy says we are actually the one in control of everything when the students think they have the power to decide for themselves. It is interesting. But we should be smart in handing the power over. They can only choose inside the frame, not outside. 

The last one is that we can make students practice listening, speaking, reading and writing with one material. Those tasks can be carried out in some well-designed sequence. The role of teachers is to design those tasks and to guide students through. This has much to do with my intensive reading class.

Not all inspirations are listed above. I'm sure I would come up with more when I read my notes taken during the four weeks of observation again. Inspirations can only be valuable when they are applied to my own teaching. I am looking forward to my performance in the coming semester.

没有评论:

发表评论