2015年7月12日星期日

Glass Flowers, You Astonished Me!

I went to Boston on the Independence Day Holiday. My friend Wen and his wife Jie picked me up at my dormitory, 189 Elm Street, New Haven on July 3. They drove all the way up to where I temporarily resided and then drove back to Harvard University with me sitting at the backseat. They were doing post doctorate work there.




Wen and Jie eagerly took me to the Harvard Museum of Natural History. After we looked around the room for all kinds of precious stones, they took me to another room. The instant we were in it, Jie said to me with a mysterious wink: "These are all real grass and flowers." But I had seen the room labeled "Glass works"!

Still I was astonished by those glass works. What craftsmanship they embodied! Incredible! Were they actually made by hand? Marvelous! I was deprived of the ability to express myself, except murmuring at all times "Incredible!"






There were several other rooms exhibiting the bones and specimens of animals, samples of various ancient shells and fishes, diversified stones, but none of them impressed me like the glass works. They were made with such refined taste, through which something called patience and painstaking carefulness were fully conveyed. Wonder arose in my mind and I felt so reverent to the late craftsman.

6 条评论:

  1. wow!! What amazing craftsmanship. I love glass designs and these look amazing!

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Yes, really amazing. Just hard to imagine the craftsmanship in them!

      删除
  2. How wonderful that your friends picked you up and took you with them to their home! There is no better way to visit a place than with people who live there.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. True. And people who are with us is the most important thing to decide whether a place is a good place to visit O(∩_∩)O~

      删除
  3. Great! speaking of Boston, usually people just talk about the lobster, but i found something different here.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Lobsters and glass works ARE different O(∩_∩)O~

      删除